what our composites products specialists
need our technical
can do for you...
MDF/HDF Pilot Plant
FPInnovations has the expertise and facilities to provide strategic technical
support to medium density (MDF) or high density fibreboard (HDF) manufacturers
in Canada and around the world. Our composite wood products specialists
can produce, under controlled laboratory conditions, a variety of
wood-based fibreboard products that are similar to industry manufactured
panels. Many producers are taking advantage of this facility because
it allows them to conduct development tests without the need to do
a costly full scale trial in their own mill.
Our Pilot Plant, located at our Eastern Laboratory in Quebec City,
provides the following key features:
For more details please consult our brochure.
It can help you answer questions related to MDF/HDF manufacturing
without the need to interrupt your own production and our experts
can focus on issues specific to your operations.
Typical applications of the MDF Pilot
The Pilot Plant at FPInnovations not only provides the technical service
for the MDF industry around the world, but also provides an excellent
service for a broad range of R&D activities from other industries.
Typical applications and R&D activities include:
- Evaluation of alternative fibre resources for the manufacturing
fibre-based composite panels
- less desirable wood species
- agricultural residues, such as wheat straw, rice straw, corn
- flax and hemp etc.
- recycled wood
- Quantification of the performance of different resin systems
in relation to panel properties
- Refining process development for the application of different
alternative fibre resources.
- Novel fibre-based panel product development.
- Evaluation of VOC and formaldehyde emission in relation to
different raw materials, resin systems and process conditions
of refining and hot pressing.
- Refining process optimization and energy reduction, such as
evaluate different refiner plate pattern and refining process
As a complement to this MDF/HDF Pilot Plant, FPInnovations has the necessary
equipment to perform all major tests related to fibre-based panel
- Stack emissions (particulate matter and VOC's, including formaldehyde)
- Product formaldehyde emissions as per ASTM D6007, ASTM D5582
EN120and Japanese (JIS A5908) methods
- Product VOC emissions as per ASTM D5116-97
Panel products can be evaluated for physical and mechanical properties
and laminated products can be tested in accordance with NEMA standards.
Surface quality tests include:
- Scratch and wear resistance
- Impact resistance
- Stain resistance
- And more
We have specialists in composite products and processes, resin
development, raw material analysis and environmental issues. Our
team of technicians and scientists will help you analyse MDF/HDF
manufacturing technical problems. Suggested solutions can also be
tested in our Pilot Plant.
For more information contact Gilles Brunette at 418 659-2647 or
back to Composites products